Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

Anna is going on a trip with her best friend, Frankie to Zanzibar Bay. Frankie thinks that it will be the perfect time and place for a summer romance, a quick and harmless fling. During swimsuit shopping, Anna and Frankie come up with a plan for the Absolute Best Summer Ever. The plan is to see who can get the most guys in twenty days. The problem is that Anna, isn't over Frankie's Brother, Matt, who died suddenly in a car crash. So, Anna is holding on to that time with Matt and hiding the secret from Frankie.
I could understand what Anna was going through. I have experienced grief and I understood it. I also think that Ockler has written it so well. I felt like I was in that moment again. Anna is a strong character for keeping silent about her relationship with Matt a secret. Her voice was also so strong through out the book. Frankie annoyed me at the beginning, but she seemed to grow up and realize that she wasn't alone. The flashbacks were done so well, that I felt the emotion that was in the moment and that Anna had. The plot of Twenty Boy Summer was stellar. I was engaged in the story, through the strong characters and emotions. It shows how hard it is to be left behind and what it does to you. Ockler made an amazing debut that leaves you wanting more. It is not a book to miss.

0 comments: